Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Getting people interested in working on no-budget films

I'm currently working on an interesting task, but no one has told me I can't do it so I'm doing it anyways. At least no one whose opinion I value in the least.

I'm looking at doing what I'm calling a no-budget film. This means no one is getting paid, and I'm doing pre-production, production, and post-production myself.
I have a very skilled friend who is script savvy, who is working on it. I have a friend who was in my first film attempt who wants to act in it (specifically requesting that she be soaked in blood since it's leaning the way of the horror genre) and is excited to assist with production.
Ok, that's just two so far, but it's not like I've advertised or anything.

I'm actually learning that there are people who are out there willing to do this crap for fun. Not because they'll make any money at it ever, but for fun. I guess it stands to reason that if I'm willing to do it for fun why wouldn't there be other people?

Logistically it may be a bit of a nightmare, but I'm game anyway. That is, if I'm not paying them to act in the thing and they just don't feel like showing up for filming one day there's not much in the way of incentive for them to come. There will be contracts signed (for liability and license for me to own the finished product reasons), but what am I going to do? Withhold their pay of $0.00 if they don't show or perform? Wag my finger at them and give them a stern lecture?

For that reason every actor "hired" is going to be an exercise in trust. They trust that I wont make them look dumb and I trust that they'll show up and let me put fake blood on them. It's a two way street you know.

On the back side I also need to worry about little things like music. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a sometimes odd, sometimes too-easy-to-please, but still somehow picky taste in music. I can't insert music that I have on CDs at home because I want to own the finished product.
This is the part where I'm glad I know a couple/few people in bands. No one has agreed to offer anything up yet, but that's because I haven't asked yet. Maybe I should ask then eh?

No comments: