I recently decided to enter a local three minute film festival. I'd been asked to give it a try by my friend, the organizer, before. Without a camera, or a clue, I'd always thought it was out of my grasp.
I went ahead and splurged on a nice MiniDV HD camera, a spare wide angle lens, and an external microphone for it. The whole package was around $1000 or so. Not the most carelessly used money I'd ever spent, but hardly cheap.
The first bit of luck I had was finding an actress who gave a damn about her character. The second bit of luck was that she was interested in the story I had in mind, and actually improving upon it.
We filmed over 70 minutes of footage, mostly in two days, and I edited, and edited, and chopped, and edited until the thing was a lean three minutes, one second long. Mind you I was doing all this in the iMovie HD that came bundled for free on my Mac. Not exactly top of the line software, but it worked out ok.
If I, in the future, mention any thoughts about filming my expertise can, thus far, be distilled into and out of this one filming experience. (read: I'm making it up as I go along so don't believe half of what I say.)
I'm proud to say that I have a final edit that both my lead actress and I like, and I've turned the damn thing into the festival officials. Woo hoo!
Unfortunately I've also caught a bug. I'm now talking with a friend of mine who has been known to write from time to time, with a rough story in mind. Now, is it sane to go straight from a three minute film, to a feature length film? Probably not. Do I care? Possibly. Am I going to do it anyway? Yes! I'm a fool and proud of it.
Onward and upward!
Monday, August 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment