I recently watched the 2006 film Cashback. I'd never heard of the thing, ever. When I was done I couldn't help but feel like I'd just seen an incredibly beautiful film. A quick check of the IMBD message boards clued me in quickly to the notion that not everyone felt the same way about it. WARNING: Spoilers.
Does it have lots of nudity? Yes. It does. Admittedly the the male to female nudity ratio is 1 guy to dozens of women. But I think it's fair to say that a sleep deprived art school student in his early 20s is fairly likely to look at things just as the lead did. So is there cause for women to be offended by it? Only they can say. I kinda can't help but feel like that completely misses the point of the film. It has the nudity, but I'm not sure that I'd agree that it's about the nudity. I think it's really just a love story that happens to have a lot of nudity.
To contrast with the main characters somewhat questionable pass times while at work, he has a friend who is consistently either having his face slapped or having a drink thrown in it. Then there's the coworkers who boast about sleeping with women they've never had a chance with, and the store manager who does a fine job of hitting on employees with a pat on the ass or asking them up for a shag (it's an English film). All of the guys displaying the piggish behavior are made to look like the idiots that they are. I think it's all rather fairly treated.
If you're offended by dumb guys acting dumb and nudity then it probably wont be your bag. If you've ever lost sleep for someone you may well relate to the film more than you think. In either case, I loved the thing.
I'm pretty sure I'll be watching this love story again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment