Friday, October 08, 2004

New CD: Bjork - Medulla

Anyone who says that Bjork hasn't challenged her audience through the years hasn't been listening. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to debate I think.
This CD is no exception. Instruments are minimal. Instead what you get is a dizzying array vocal utterances, some of which are rather distant from what's traditionally thought of as singing. It's, urm, interesting.
To be fair I was sick with some sort of flu when I first tried to listen to this CD, but I honestly think it made me more nautious than I was before. The only other album I can think of right off that's ever had that effect on me was My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" CD (which I love when I'm not sick by the way).
So file it under challenging. Despite the lack of instrumentation it's a very complex CD. There's bouncing sounding (Where is the Line) to pleasant (Oceana) to downright peacefull sounding (Vokuro). Oh, and it's not all in English by the way, for anyone convinced they need to sing along with every song they own.
Maybe if I did drugs I'd have a better handle on what this CD is about?
I think it's a good listen for those that already know that they like Bjork, but I would say that if you aren't already a fan this isn't the place to start. "Debut" and "Post" are far better introductions to what this clever woman can do. If you've never been particularly fond of Bjork before, forget it, please.

Grade: B
Buy Medulla from Amazon.com.
Buy Post from Amazon.com.
Buy Debut from Amazon.com.

No comments: