Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Cover: Johnny Cash - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkel

Okay, first of all I'm a fan of both Johnny Cash, and Simon and Garfunkel. Both have made great music. But maybe some two things just shouldn't be combined. Of any of the songs I've ever heard by the late, great Mr. Cash, this is likely the bottom of the barrell. I have no idea who decided that this cut needed to make it onto his American IV: The Man Comes Around CD. "Danny Boy," on the same CD, isn't all that hot either, but I think when I'm fond of a song to begin with it affects me more to hear a weak version.
So the real shame here is that a good artist covering a good song and the results were far from good. Fortunately there's a wealth of other great songs by Cash to pick up the slack.

Grade: D-
Buy Johny Cash's American IV: The Man Comes Around from Amazon.com.
Buy Simon and Garfulkle's Bridge over troubled water from Amazon.com

No comments: