Friday, April 22, 2005

Cover: David Bowie - Cactus - Pixies

When I put on David Bowie's 2002 release, Heathen, I was pleased enough with how it started. Then track number two hit and about four words in to it I suddenly found myself some sort of odd super happy experience. This is what happens when an artist I love covers a band I love, and does it well.
Pixie purists might complain that he softened the edge of the song, but I'd argue that any good cover involves making the song your own. If Bowie were to have sounded like the Pixies, then what would have been the point? Really? So it sounds like a David Bowie song, just written by Black Francis.
It starts nice and stripped with an acoustic guitar. At about 30 seconds in it starts to rock in a very agreeable way. I'd have purchased this CD for this song alone. Fortunately the rest of the CD is equally pleasing, frequently sounding much more like classic Bowie than we've heard for years.

Grade: A
on David Bowie "Heathen." Buy Heathen From Amazon.com
originally on Pixies "Surfer Rosa." Buy Surfer Rosa From Amazon.com

No comments: